Increase your ‘Lead to Sale’ conversion rates.
Deal effectively with the objections raised by the homeowners.
Make the most of your 3Quotes Leads and grow your business to new levels.
Solar Sales Support – Tools and advice to convert more Leads into Sales.
We have collated some great information and strategies to help you sell more and grow your revenues.
Please click on the Sections Headings below to expand each topic.
What To Aim For
As you know, sales is a process of taking your clients on a journey through several stages until the sale is either won, lost or deferred.
How well we manage each step of the journey will determine how many sales we actually secure at the end of the day.
Here are the typical conversion rates which are achieved with the homeowner introductions we provide.
This example is based upon 10 Leads being supplied to an installer.
- 50% to 60% of homeowners will receive a presentation regarding a solar system
- 40% to 50% will receive a proposal for a solar system
- 10% to 20% will go ahead with the proposal received
This means that from 10 Leads you should be able to secure 1 to 2 sales.
The solar industry is competitive and there are many professional organisations that you will be competing against so it’s vital that you have a well-prepared sale process set up before you begin.
Here is a checklist of a few things to consider:
- Do you have a good website which clearly explains why you are the best company to buy a solar system from?
- Do you provide testimonials from your clients on your website?
- Are your products price competitive and are they in line with your position in the market?
- Do you have a good solar roof design tool for your sales teams to use?
- Do you have a good quoting system so jobs can be priced accurately and presented well?
- Is your sales team well presented and equipped with the right tools?
- Is your sales team well trained and supported?
Developing your business resources is an endless journey, so do everything you can to present a great image to your prospective clients.
When you receive a homeowner introduction from us there are a number of actions we believe will help you connect with the prospective clients that allow you to move them forward in the sales process.
Although with sales there is never a ‘one size fits all’ reality, here are few practices we believe will help increase your engagement with the homeowners.
- Be pro-active and endeavour to contact the homeowner as soon as you possibly can. Don’t wait several days before making contact as your competitors may have already sold them a system before you even make the first call.
- Set up an automatic email system so the homeowner receives an email from you as soon as you receive their Lead from us. You can do this in your 3Quotes portal under the Services tab, look for the ‘AutoEmailer’ button. You can also read about how to do this in the FAQ library in your portal. Remember to include your logo, web site links and testimonials. You want to promote your reputation and services as soon as you can.
- Use SMS messages to contact the homeowner. Because SMS is a fairly new medium to use for marketing and sales purposes, you will find you will get a pretty good response from the SMS messages that you send. Make sure you keep them as short as possible, state your name, the reason for the message and the actions that will be taken.
- Have a great script ready when you call the homeowner. Be clear on what you want to achieve during the call and be ready to manage any objections that you may encounter. This takes practice to get right and the skill that you apply to your first phone calls will have a major impact on your overall success with the Leads provided. We have provided a great example of a Telesales Script in the sections below.
- Have a clear journey prepared for your homeowner. Are you arranging an in-home presentation for your sales representatives, or are you going to quote them using online design tools and email proposals? Whatever journey you what to take your homeowners on, make sure you are well prepared and make the experience as enjoyable, rewarding and easy as possible.
Remember, 40% to 60% of sale opportunities are lost during the first contact phase, invest a lot of energy to get this right.
We engaged the best Solar Telephone Sales expert that we know to share with you his method for creating success through selling solar over the phone.
He has maintained amazing results year after year and has never stopped refining his strategies and methods to become even more successful.
We are proud to share his strategies with you.
The Sales Pitch Approach
This script has been developed with the view of always selling solar under a finance plan.
By taking this approach it is easy to position solar as a ‘no cost’ and ‘cash flow positive’ proposition for every sale opportunity.
This doesn’t mean you can’t sell cash sales, you can switch the offer at any time, but leading with a finance offering does remove many of the barriers you will encounter when selling solar.
Continuously improve your sales script and strategies, it is key to creating great success in solar.
First things first – Create A Positive Mindset
Be sure to have a positive mindset before you jump on a call.
If you are down in the dumps, grumpy, stressed or just generally in a negative mindset, this will come across on the phone call and this will be reflected in your sales results.
So, before you begin calling the prospective homeowners each day, take the time required to create a positive mental attitude so that you want to help your homeowners as much as possible.
Here are a few ideas that might work for you.
- Meditation – This is a great way to calm the mind and body. There is lots of material online to assist you if you haven’t tried meditation before.
- Creating a Vision Board – Create some goals for yourself and have a clear picture of what you want to achieve from being successful at selling solar. Is it a house, a car or a great holiday? Whatever inspires you, create an image and an expectation, and then go out and create it.
- Exercise and nutrition – Create a habit of eating well and exercising regularly. Go for a walk each morning or go to the gym on a regular basis. This will help you feel happier and healthier about yourself and your life.
Create an intent and a clear vision, and work towards creating it every day.
Across Australia, many people are building fantastic businesses which are providing excellent jobs and incomes while assisting our nation to transition to the next generation of energy resources.
Solar and battery storage technology are going to change the way we live.
Within our team at 3Quotes are some leaders of the solar energy sector who have built very successful solar businesses with revenues worth tens of millions of dollars per year.
We believe 3Quotes is a key partner if you have the desire to build a fantastic business because having an endless supply of sale opportunities is key to building a great business.
Download the ‘How To Build A $10M Solar Business’ presentation by clicking HERE.
How Grid Connect Solar Works
Remote Selling Solar Tips
Sales Script Explainer Video
Here is an example of a Solar Proposal which supports the Sales Script as well as a calculator to complete the various inputs required.
- Solar Proposal Template – Here is a sample of a solar proposal which may help you develop yours, download by clicking HERE
- Solar Proposal Calculator – This spreadsheet will help you generate the inputs for your Solar Proposal, (COMING SOON)
Rehearse and practice using this script until it is second nature.
Listen to the Explainer Video provided in the Training Video section so you understand how to make the most of the strategies embedded in this script.
Go and chat to the solar experts and experienced salespeople in your organisation and learn everything you can about:
- how solar works
- the different technologies options
- the rebates available in your area
- how to read the electricity bills
- the deals you can offer
Learn everything you can, and then share it with your customers.
Have fun and help you homeowners secure a great solar deal.
Hello, is that (Homeowners Name). Hi (Homeowners Name), it’s (Your Name) calling from Tech Solar. How are you?
I see you entered your details on 3Quotes.com.au in regards to getting solar for virtually no cost at all?
My job was to work out a solution based on your needs. But before I do that, the way it works is pretty simple.
So we put a system on your roof, doesn’t cost you anything upfront, and then the system just pays for itself each fortnight, with some of the money it saves off your power bill each fortnight.
So it doesn’t cost you anything out of pocket, it’s actually cheaper than what you’re currently wasting on your power bills now. And you’re able to get a really good quality system, which is backed up by a company that’s been here for (X) years.
So, just to let you know how the call goes. I’ll start off with asking some questions, just so I can get a better idea of what you need. Then if we’re a good fit and we can help, I’ll send out an email and explain exactly how it all works. And then obviously you can decide if you want to be a part of it or not.
(if they don’t say anything)
So are you planning on staying in the home for at least 5 years?
Do you have any roof renovations you need to do first?
Do you have any shading issues from trees?
Are you the homeowner?
Are you working at least 30 hours per week or retired?
So (Homeowners Name), what motivated you to jump on the call today?
What are you currently spending on power per quarter?
So that’s about $____ per year?
How long have you been at your current address?
So apart from the washing machine, do you have a dishwasher or clothes dryer?
Could you change your habits to use them during the day more often than night?
How many fridges and freezers do you have?
What do you use for heating and cooling?
And do you have anything out of the ordinary like a pool pump, etc?
Are you on single phase or three phase power?
Tin or tiled roof?
Ok, so you’re currently paying about $____ a quarter for power. What are you hoping to achieve with solar?
Ok, so you said you’ve been at your current address for about __ years, so you’ve spent about $____ on power bills during that time. So tell me ____, what’s stopped you from getting solar already? Just the cost or ….?
Well, we can definitely help you with that.
(if they say nothing has stopped them)
Ok, well you’re spending about $____every year on power currently. If you’re not too fussed about getting solar, why not just stay where you are?
And just lastly, if you’re really happy with everything, is solar something you’d be able to move ahead with at the moment? Or?
Perfect. So have you got access to your emails at the moment? Excellent, I’ve just emailed out a proposal. So let me know when that comes through.
Great. Open up the solar proposal attachment, and we’ll go through it together now.
So we’ve got a 5-10 step approval process. We get the repayments, the meter box and the roof design approved.
If all is good, we will get you installed within 1-2 weeks. If not, we work with you to try and solve the issue. The most common issue is not being able to fit the system, and in that case, we’d come back to you with a smaller proposal and see if you still want to proceed.
Yep, no worries ____, that’s totally fine.
So if you had to rate yourself 1-10, 10 being you love it, 1 being you hate it, what would you rate yourself?
(if they say 8 or above)
Okay, look if you’re above 8, it usually means that you like it, but you just want to verify that everything’s correct. Is that where you’re at?
Perfect. Well if you were 50/50 we wouldn’t worry about it. But if you’re above 8, we let you know that you’re not locked into anything with the approval process. So we may as well start it because you’ll have 5-10 days to verify that everything’s correct anyway.
(if they say anything below 8)
Okay, most people are 8 or 9. Generally, if you’re less than an 8, it means you’re not happy with something. So what is it that you’re unsure about? Is it the product, the company or the price?
(if they say there’s nothing they aren’t happy with)
Well, generally people can’t fault the company or the product. It’s pretty easy to verify that it’s good quality and we have excellent service. So I find the main concern people have is around the price.
We are not going to offer you a poor quality system for a crazy low price, be careful of the companies selling really inexpensive systems as there is a big difference in quality between a good and bad system.
If you’re looking for a good quality system that’ll last over 30 years, with a company that’s been around for years, and who’s making sure you’re being looked after at all times, it’s going to cost at least $X,000 for a 6.6kW.
- Solar is normally always cash flow positive under a finance plan over 3 to 5 years, how about I show you how it works.
- You know you will need electricity over the next five years, by installing a solar system now you will ensure you can have all the electricity you need at a much lower cost.
- As a homeowner, you can finance the solar system and you will save money from the very first day.
- If you have money invested with a bank, solar will provide you with a return on investment of around 25% per year or more, that’s hard to beat.
- That’s fine, as a homeowner, we can arrange finance for the solar system very easily, how about I work out the overall cost and show you the savings.
- That’s great, and we recommend that you do. While you’re waiting for the other companies to get around to responding to your enquiry, how about I finalise our proposal and go through the benefits and savings with you.
- Ok, let me see if I can sharpen the price for you.
- Ok, let’s look at the savings again as they looked very good to me.
- Please be careful and don’t just buy the cheapest solar system, there is a lot of difference in quality and performance between the cheap and well priced solar components. A good solar system will last 20 to 30 years, while a poor quality system may only last 5 years.
- Ok, can I ask what you are waiting for, is it the cost of the system or is it for some other reason?
- That is a shame because each month you delay it’s costing you through unnecessarily high electricity prices.
- Did you know your solar system will save you (Insert Expected Saving eg $120) each month, waiting will actually cost you a lot of money?
- Did you know that solar adds value to your house and will make it easier to sell?
- Have you purchased your new home yet, can I provide you with a proposal for your new home?
- I can create a system design for you over the phone and email it to you so it’s no problem, we can do it all over the phone.
- The solar system can be installed without you having to meet the technicians face to face, so there is no risk due to social distancing concerns.
- That’s terrible, I’m sorry to hear that. Solar is a great way of reducing your expenses, would you like me to show you how we can do that with no money upfront?
- Ok, well solar will be great for you as it will reduce your ongoing expenses and lower your cost of living.
- Saving money is even more important now than ever, let me show how much we can save you every month.
- Investing in solar will give you a fantastic return on your investment. If you have money invested it would be very beneficial to use some money to invest in solar.
- How long has that company been around?
- Have you spoken to anyone who has purchased from them?
- Ok, how about I check out the components they have recommended to see how they are rated in the industry.
- Have you checked out the warranty on the equipment being used, how long is the warranty cover and do the manufacturers have Australian based offices?
- Are you confident they will be around if you have problems in the future?
- Ok, but considering we have come this far how about I do a design for you and show you the benefits and savings of having a solar system.
- All solar systems are supported with government rebates, how about I show you just how much you can save.
- Oh, that’s disappointing. My understanding is they did provide you with some indicative pricing via a Solar Estimator after you completed the enquiry form.
- I do know 3Quotes never actually provide quotations, their role is to introduce three good solar companies to design and quote the solar energy solutions for you.
- 3Quotes don’t offer that service, but I can help you with a quotation right now, I just have questions about your needs and intentions and I’ll send you a proposal right now.
- Okay, we understood you had some interest in going solar. Do you have any questions about the savings while we are here?
- Okay, I can just send you some information about solar if you like, I can even design a system for you if you have a minute or two to answer a few questions.